I’m an insurance agent. I work as an independent contractor representing Colonial Life and recruit other agents as part of my small business. My goal is no different to any small business owner: to build, manage and grow a successful, thriving enterprise. I don't have all the answers, but, through speaking to and working with other successful businesses every day, what I do have is information and experience and lots of it. And that’s why I set up this blog, to share the research I’ve done, the mistakes I’ve made, and the lessons I’ve learnt along the way. Join me on my journey to discover how to build a better business.*
About Colonial Life:
Colonial Life is an insurance company based in Columbia, South Carolina. They offer a wide range of financial protection options - accident, cancer, critical illness, dental, disability, hospital indemnity confinement (supplemental) and life insurance plans – to both individuals and businesses. They have more than 75 years’ experience and pioneered worksite marketing of voluntary benefits through payroll deduction back in 1955. At the end of 2014 they served more than 80,000 businesses and organizations and provided coverage for more than 3 million policyholders.
About voluntary benefits:
Voluntary benefits (sometimes also known as supplemental insurance or employee-paid benefits) are offered by the employer through the workplace where employees can choose to buy them in addition to any core benefits they may already get. They can be 100% employee-paid, so there’s no direct cost to the employer, and packaged with the employer’s core benefit offering to:
- Provide a more competitive benefits package.
- Help fill gaps in existing benefit coverages.
- Realize tax savings for the business and employees.
- Enable employees to tailor the benefits package to help suit their needs. Voluntary benefits are part of Colonial Life’s offering along with other group and individual coverages. For more information, take a look at the simple guide to voluntary benefits page.
* Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company has more than 75 years' experience in protecting American workers. Colonial Life works with thousands of independent contractors as benefit representatives. Some of these become sales managers, who recruit, train and develop new benefit representatives, creating their own businesses within an assigned area of the country. The Living Business blog is based on the typical experiences that a sales manager may go through in building up their businesses. Some posts will be written anonymously while others may contain a pseudonym.